Yolanda Johnson Bryant interviews editorial cartoonist Kerry G. Johnson who is also an art director, caricaturist, cartoonist and graphic designer. Listen to internet radio with ymjauthor on BlogTalkRadio
Andertoons cartoonist Mark Anderson has a nice summary of his presentation he gave back in February at the Success in Comics seminar. I must have done everything right, right? Not so much. When I take a good hard look at it, probably 95% of the things I’ve tried ended up failing. But the other 5% [...]
The fine folks over at The Cartoonist Studio have announced they have started a blog to go along with the other cool features. Each day one of the many syndicated pros will respond to a topic. While you’re over there, check out the studios and cartoon of the day.
The National Cartoonists Society Foundation (NCSF) has announced that Charlotte Mao is the recipient of this years Jay Kennedy Memorial Scholarship award. From the announcement: Charlotte is an illustration major at Ringling College of Art & Design in Sarasota FL. She was chosen from over 65 applicants for the award, which includes a $5,000 scholarship [...]
Amazon has stepped in to the fray of releasing tools to help creators create digital versions of their comics for resale in different outlets. Apple has their iBooks Author, Comixology has Comixology Submit and now Amazon has released Kindle Comic Creator. It’s a free tool to help turn comics, graphic novels and manga into Kindle [...]
An organized campaign by over 900 mayors across the US to support gun control efforts in Washington has launched a video featuring 23 cartoonists who are supporting the effort. The video is called Cartoonists Demand Action to End Gun Violence. Participating cartoonists include: Lalo Alcaraz, Bill Amend, Ruben Bolling, Jim Borgman, Steve Brodner, Roz Chast, [...]
Superman turned 75 last week. Wired.com looks at the evolution of the character since it debuted in 1938. Instead, what makes Superman so recognizable is the underlying attitude of the character: At the heart of the concept, he’s the guy who believes in the good of people, and who’ll never give up fighting anything and [...]
Hearty congratulations to Tyson Cole who won The Cartoonists Studio’s fourth annual cartooning contest. Tyson is a student at Utah State University where his feature runs in The Utah Statesman. You can follow his comic panel on his blog or on Facebook. And another congratulations to Tyson on the new baby girl. Keith Brown, creator [...]
Dav Pilkey’s Captain Underpants is the number one book most likely to be challenged for removal from a school and library in America according to the annual study released by the American Library Association. The Huffington Post reports that it’s due to “offensive language, unsuited for age group”. From the Post: “It’s pretty exciting to [...]
The Eisner Award nominees have been announced. Several nominees are of interest to readers of this blog. Jerry Scott and Rick Kirkman are nominated in the category of Best Humor Publication for their collection BBXX: Baby Blues Decades 1 & 2. Also in this category is a nomination for Naked Cartoonists edited by Gary Groth. [...]
We’re well int award season. The nominees for the Glyph Comic Award have been announced. The winner will be announced on May 17 at the East Coast Black Age of Comics Convention in Philadelphia. The nominees are: Story of the year The Call, Steve Broome, writer and artist KOBK, C. J. Johnson, writer and SMACK!, [...]
Comic Book Resources used Women’s History Month to highlight female creators in the industry. Creators included: Becky Cloonan, Danielle Corsetto, Joyce Farmer, Marjorie Liu, Ann Nocenti, Trina Robbins, Louise Simonson, and Noelle Stevenson. It’s an interesting series wherein the artists talk about gender roles in comics, gender gaps, and abortion, anger and Underground Comix.
During the Society of Illustrators’s Celebrating Kurtzman Drew Friedman, Robert Grossman, Al Jaffee, and Arnold Roth discussed the life and work of Harvey Kurtzman. Audio of the panel is now online. Via Tom Richmond
This year’s Harvey Awards ballot is now available to comics professionals. Ballots are due May 6th. This year’s Harvey Awards will be presented Saturday, September 7th as part of the Baltimore Comic-Con. If you’re old school, you can download the ballot and send it via the post office.
An interesting move by ComiXology to become more of a platform, like Apple’s iBook Store and Amazon eBook store. Today, the digital comic book startup is launching ComiXology Submit, a submission portal for comic book creators who want to sell their self-published work in ComiXology’s digital store. If successful, the Submit portal could usher in [...]