Home / Section: Comic strips
Success in cartooning speaker: Mark Simon
Mark Simon is a cartoonist, illustrator and animation producer. He gives a presentation called How to get millions of dollar with free advertising.
- How to get millions of dollar with free advertising
- Promotion is advertising
- What is promotion? Any coverage in media that you don’t pay for
- Promotion always tells a story; you give them content, they give you mention
- The more promotion you get, the more money you make
- Build your contact list. If people liked your work once, they’ll probably like it again – give them opportunities to give you their money.
- Start with local promotion. National shows don’t do local because local is more unpredictable
- Media loves art and cartoonists have lots of that
- “Buy my book” is bad promotion – you need to give the media a story they can run with
- Media Kit – must include head shots, logos, sample art, suggested questions and canned answered. Media will use the canned questions and answers because they’re safe and predictable
- Do as much work for them as you can – they love it.
16 steps promotion
- What’s your story – have a story (business deals, expansion, awards, celebrity connections)
- Hooks – help media get audience attention, create catchy titles
- Great art – give them good visuals
- Don’t send attachments in your emails – only links.
- Write only press release – make sure it’s a story not a sales pitch, use quotes; e.g. smallbusinesspr.com
- Find publications that are read by people you want to pitch to. Write an article and be published in those publications.
- Call personal press contacts – make friends with editors; treat them well
- Post to PR and article sites (prweb.com; rpleap.com etc.)
- Enlist help and network to get to people you need to.
- Don’t be afraid of being outlandish. Outlandish gets attention; if you’re not pissing off people, your audience is too small. You only grow when you piss people off; It gets your name out there.
- Become the local expert/local connection that the local media brings on to talk about larger issues (you can instigate this – don’t wait for them to call you)
- Be Controversial – media loves energy, animation and conflict.
- Local Morning Shows
- Press Event – if you’re doing something big enough, invite the whole media over at one time for a demo
(Editor’s note: I’m missing some of those 16 steps)
No such thing as bad publicity. Look at Kardashians and Charlie Sheen