Home / Section: Comic strips
Festival of Cartoon Art notes: Tony Cochran
- tony cochran: “I might be significant.” “I’m too old to be be a prodigy, but young enough to be a genius. please start that rumor.”
- tony cochran: “I have been in syndication longer than bill watterson!”
- agnes creator tony cochran is throwing out the one liners faster than i can capture them. hilarious.
- tony cochran: “my career as a painter was struggling and i heard the new yorker paid really well, and i thought how hard can it be.”
- tony cochran: agnes was designed to be 2d because that is the space that the characters live in.
- tony cochran: if my writing too pointed, dark… sorry it’s autobiographical.
- tony cochran: “I don’t want agnes to be a footnote in comic history… unless that’s all i can get.” tony is the king of self depreciation.
- tony cochran: “the comics are only alive right now because we are. this weekend we celebrate us, because we might be significant”
- did the concept of agnes come quickly? tony: “It came quickly. it was like a gift from god if you believe in that. i do”